Case Study: Australian Financial Complaints Authority
When our biggest institutions declare moral bankruptcy,
people demand to be heard.
We pointed out the megaphone.
- After the launch, AFCA received over 13,000 phone enquiries and 6,522 complaints in its first month of operation – a 47% increase when compared to its three predecessor schemes.
- A comprehensive social media strategy across Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter, exceeding 1,000 followers ahead of launch.
- Planning and management of two events to launch AFCA officially – one in Sydney and one in Melbourne.
- More than 50 media clips in outlets including Sunrise, Today, ABC Radio National, Channel 9 News, The Age, The Australian, AFR, The Herald Sun and Smart Company.
- Planning and booking a national print and digital advertising campaign across all national major metro newspapers, reaching approx. 12,190,600 readers, in addition to digital billboards in Melbourne and Sydney.
- The creation of an animated ‘What is AFCA?’ video and filming and editing of a talking head video with CEO David Locke featured at both events.
"There were a lot of complex messages that needed to be communicated about the transition to AFCA from its three predecessor schemes. With Think HQ, we had everything we needed in one place. From media relations, to social media, print and online advertising, and launch events - everything was covered and we had the support we needed to ensure success. Their skill, speed and execution meant the launch of AFCA went very smoothly."
David Locke Chief Ombudsman and CEO, AFCA.
In the wake of the Financial Services Royal Commission, the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) was formed to provide a one-stop shop for consumers and small businesses looking to make a complaint about a financial services provider. Think HQ was asked to support the inaugural launch of the authority through a multi-pronged communications and advertising campaign.
Capitalising on the media around the findings from the Royal Commission, Think HQ created a holistic strategy incorporating media relations, event management, social media, video production and advertising to support the launch.